The 4th Tank Marines came out to utilize our training area for a few weeks of training. Someday I'll get video with sound of one of these M1s firing its cannon - it is so loud. It scared the crap out of me the first time I experienced one of these tanks on our range. I was at my desk and didn't know the Army had rolled some tanks in for training (modern tanks are much quieter than you think). I'm just working away - then BOOM! - the whole building shook. I took cover - then looked out the window and about a half mile away I could see a tank shooting down range. First you see the muzzle blast (flames) then you hear and feel the boom. So these are some pictures of the Marines who share our Army range. Our range is pretty state of the art with all kinds of friendly and enemy targets, heated for thermal and night vision, and covers about 100,000 acres. We're set up for infantry, heavy (tanks) and aircraft (helicopters and UAVs), urban/village assault, and convoy maneuvering (IED - roadside bombs). It's a good experience for me because my actual military job is with the Air Force working on aircraft (my full-time civilian job is working in the desert with the Army National Guard). It's good for me to see how the other branches train. Next to our range is Mountain Home Air Force Base and their bombing/combat range for the F-15 Eagles and A-10 Warthogs. Some days it feels like you're at war when you come to work - which is a grim reminder of where we are in this world.
No comments:
Post a Comment