Monday, April 21, 2008

Home away from home



Well, I've been in Texas for a week and a day now. So far so good. Only six more weeks to go. Texas is very flat, but thankfully there is not much humidity. And there has been only a couple of thunderstorms so far - no tornadoes...., yet - however there was one in the area just a week before I got here. Good timing on my part, I guess. I am training as an Aircraft Fuel Systems Technician for the Idaho Air National Guard and I am temporarily stationed here at Sheppard Air Force Base in Wichita Falls, Texas. I am about an hour and half south of Oklahoma City and the same time frame north of Dallas. I plan to get out on my evenings and weekends and see as much of the area as possible. It is actually very pretty here even though it is so flat. I went to Oklahoma City last Saturday and was surprised at how clean and modern their downtown is - and very "artsy". It is actually a very cultural city with much to do with the arts, performing arts, zoos, and sports. I look forward to spending more time in OK City and visiting the Federal Building Monument. And I'm sure that Dallas and Fort Worth will have much to offer, too. As for Sheppard, this is a very big base. It is the training base for enlisted medical personnel, new jet pilots, many different aircraft specialties, and many different military branches. So far I have seen soldiers training from the Army, Navy, Marines, from Norway and Kuwait - all right here. And this is just one of our many training bases. There is constant activity on the ground and in the air here. I would be intimidated to go to war against us, but that is politics and I don't like to discuss military or politics. So anyway, I miss you all and look forward to getting home soon.

1 comment:

"R" Team said...

a nice surprize to see your addition to the blog. thanks. we miss you. study hard. julie