

My sister emailed me these images that are from a newspaper article published by the Rocky Mountain News. The top photo shows some Marines who climbed into the cargo hold of this passenger plane and covered the casket of a fallen Marine, 2nd Lieutenant James Cathey, with an American flag as he arrived in the Denver International Airport. It is truly awesome that the Marines took the time to honor one of their own. The people aboard the plane waited patiently and respectfully as this ceremony took place (the fallen Marine's family was gathered on the tarmac to welcome his body home).
The second photo shows the Marine's wife the night before his funeral. She wanted to sleep next to his body one last time. The Marines made her a bed and asked Mrs. Cathey if she would like them to continue to stand guard - she felt it would be what her husband would want, so they stood watch all night. Before Mrs. Cathey fell asleep, she opened her laptop and played a list of songs that reminded her of her husband.
For those who don't know me very well I'd like to share a little bit. I am a former Marine and I now serve in the Idaho Air National Guard as part of the United States Air Force. I am the son of a Marine and highly committed, military father. I am truly proud of him and all he has done for our family and our country. Mind you, I didn't feel like I was a military child - but I have always known strength of character, integrity, respect, and dedication. I may not have lived up to all of that when I was younger, but it is the foundation of who I am today.
I was very touched by these images and thank my sister for sending me the email. It reminds me why I do what I do. I am only official military one weekend a month (unless I am training). But I feel I wear my uniform everyday. I have learned what it means to sacrifice, what it means to stand up for your beliefs, and what it means to protect what you hold dear. I don't discuss politics or religion as these are very personal. But I just wanted to share how much I appreciate Lt. Cathey and his family. I don't know them or the thousands of other soldiers who are in the Middle East and elsewhere in this world. All I know is that they are making huge sacrifices for us. I may be asked to do more, too. Already I am away from my family for 8 weeks to train. When I return to my Guard station, many of my fellow Airmen will deploy to Afghanistan. I love my family so very much and realize how lucky I am to be with them. I'm not exactly sure if I have a point to all of this - other than to say "love the ones you're with, love yourself, and appreciate what you have".
I shed a tear when I read this email and starred at these photos. I remember the camaraderie and the dedication I felt from my fellow Marines, and the same camaraderie I now receive from my fellow Airmen. I am reminded of my neighbors and friends - and only wish that we could treat everyone we meet with the same amount of respect.
Kind of a bummer blog today - I'm sorry about that - but my main point is to say thanks to everyone who visits our blog as we appreciate your support. It's nice to know that you have friends, family, and people who care about you.
2 comments:
I live right outside Fort Rucker Army base, I have a lot of friends who are military and I really do appreciate all that our service men/women do for our country, and the sacrifices the families have to make. It's not an easy sacrifice to make. I read you blog entry and wasn't going to leave a comment, but the image of the woman sleeping one last time next to her Husband was just so powerful, thank you for you service and your thoughts it really touch my heart. It once again reminded me of how greatful I am we can be with our families forever.
Kristy Rasmussen
Just as you didn't feel you were in a military family I didn't know I was marrying a man you wanted to continue in the military. I don't mind though, because it is your dream and wish to finish what you started many years ago and I am glad you can do that (as long as you can by as safe as possible :))
love and miss you--Julie
Post a Comment